Sunday 30 September 2012

Autumn

Autumn seems a little early this year, the leaves aren't turning much yet but it sure has turned chilly.

Still plenty to eat of course, and will be all winter long all being well. I'm loving all the fruit - there's not many apples this year but plenty of blackberries, raspberries and grapes.

It seems like autumn for this blog too; I've been doing it for 7 years now and although there's always something new going on there's only so many ways I can describe how I sow a row a peas or plant out the cabbages. So maybe it's time to put it to rest.

Looking back I can see changes in my approach - not so much in the fruit and vegtable growing but in the flower department I've gone from growing cut flowers to growing for nectar and pollen for insects. I've always gardened organically and with wildlife in mind; being aware of all the other creatures who depend on how I manage this plot is more important to me now than ever, for them and for all the generations to come.


 

5 comments:

Tracy Zhu said...

Well, I understand wanting to retire your blog. I retired mine because I quickly got bored with myself. But unlike my blog I will REALLY miss yours. Best wishes to you either way.

Great image of you and the Rolling Stones baby.

Simon said...

Thanks Tracy, that's nice to read.

Roy and Tanya said...

I've only just caught up with this. it's a great journey. sad to hear but totally understandable that you'd wish to stop at some point.

Don't let this fall away when/if someone throws a switch. Please! let us keep it going for you on some spare server space that we have. People need to read and see this, it's fabulous work and a mine of knowledge. RSVP. Roy and Tanya

Simon said...

Wow thanks very much and thanks for the offer. I wasn't going to delete the blog, just leave it up here, hopefully it should be safe?

Tracy Zhu said...

I agree with Roy and Tanya that this blog should be kept up as a treasure trove of knowledge, along with excellent writing and good photography. It will be safe to leave it up. Blogger doesn't require you to be active, the only downside is without new content your blog will fall in search rankings.