Sunday 30 August 2009

Not starving

If you believed the hype in the news recently on the subject of food security you'd think we were all on the verge of starvation. In fact nothing could be further from the truth - we throw away as much food as we eat in this country and are quite capable of being self-sufficient. If you ask me this is just another ruse by the government to manufacture consent for the introduction of GM crops. Going by past experience whenever I here a creepy government minister say they want to "have a debate" about something I just know they've already made their minds up and are about to go on a major public relations offensive. And as usual putting corporate interests ahead of the well-founded concerns of the people who elect them.

There's another type of creepy pest on my plot at the moment - cabbage white caterpillars on my sprouts. Fortunately I can squish them between my fingers. If only it was that easy with the two-legged variety.

A couple of weeks ago I sowed some pak choi and some spinach for autumn greens; it looks like the slugs have nobbled the pak choi but the spinach seems to be coming on alright. Looking ahead today I've also sown some spring cabbage and onions.

Growth is slowing down but there's still peas, beans, cabbage and carrots for the eating, as well as potatoes and onions in store, sprouts and leeks to look forward to. Plenty of fruit too- as well as raspberries and blackberries the plums are ready now and the first apples and grapes. Yes grapes. It's a veritable Garden of Eden out there. I might even nip round the corner shop and get myself a bounty. Food security my arse.

5 comments:

clodhopper said...

Mouth watering grapes those.

Perhaps you could get an Eve at the corner shop too. If she mentions apples though I trust you will put it to full public consultation.

Simon said...

Oh I get it now. Been trying to work that out all day. Blimey I'm getting slow.

Free said...

Simon, you've gone very quiet...
I miss your garden pics!

Simon said...

Sorry Free, not like me to be quiet I know but things are slowing up on the plot and in the garden. Hopefully I'll have something to say at the weekend!

Free said...

I know how that goes... my blog says it all lol. We're coming into Spring here though so soon you wont be able to shut me up :)